22 May 2013

there are 852,297 views of this youtube video & roughly half of them are mine




There are no words for how much I love this video. Not only for the dance moves, which are obviously fucking fantastic, but also for the elaborate fantasy I have developed in which I am BEST FRIENDS with everyone ever in the history of Soul Train. These are literally the coolest, most awesome people I have ever seen in my life, and I would be jealous if I didn’t love watching them so much. 

For the last week or so it has been feeling like summer in Chicago. I hate summer so much. I mean, I suppose there are a few summertime things I enjoy (mostly swimming, BBQs, and drinking on patios), but mostly it’s a sweaty nightmare. I feel the same way about summer as I do about sports: I just don't get people's enthusiasm. Magazines and design blogs in particular become unbearable around the month of June. It’s all sunshine and gratefulness and drinking lemonade, and I'm just like ughhhhh fuck you. I’m hot.

All of that said, I’ve been trying to think of some strategies for coping with the warm days ahead, leaning into summer as I’ve learned to lean into winter after all these years in Chicago. One thing that I’m pretty excited is some serious popsicle experimentation (more on this later). But so far my most successful summer project has been iced coffee. Perhaps you’d like to make some?

Until recently, I was never really into iced coffee because there was something just inherently sad about it. It’s basically just watered-down stale coffee, you know? Or at least it was, until I started using the NYT cold brew method.

I use the proportions in the original recipe, which is 1/3 cup coarsely ground coffee to 1.5 cups cold water. I make a big batch (1 cup coffee & 4.5 cups cold water) in a French press, stir it a few times, and leave it out on the counter overnight. In the morning, I press down the plunger and pour it through a paper filter stuffed into one of these jobbies, which I place strategically over a glass pitcher. I stir in a scant tablespoon of agave syrup. Then I put the pitcher in the fridge.

For serving, I use mason jars filled with ice. I pour the coffee, leaving about an inch at the top. I add a splash of half and half and top the whole thing off with cold water. This (and the agave syrup) is the critical difference between my personal recipe and the NYT version, which says you should use equal parts coffee concentrate and cold water. Huh? To me that sounds way too watery, but then again I have not actually tried it. 

2 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

The no-brainer that I still had to learn from one of those lists of image macro "life hacks" is to just dedicate one ice tray to freezing cubes of full-strength coffee and use those to ice your drink in a way that just makes it stiffer as they melt.

Jody said...

Wow. Apparently practicing your badass Soul Train moves gives you legs for days. Also, I've gifted this to some coffee snobs: http://amzn.to/10pNviI, but they've yet to report back. Your recipe sounds good!